There’s no way around it—if you want to stand out from the crowd, you need to invest in marketing, plain and simple. But it’s not always easy to decide who should be in charge of your marketing efforts. Should you hire a marketing agency or use an in-house marketing team?
In-House or Agency?
When it comes to marketing, there are two main roads you can take: either hire a marketing agency or do it in-house.
Many small brands choose the latter because they want to save money or they want complete control over all of their marketing efforts. But what do you do if your team lacks specific skills or they’re too busy to focus on marketing?
If you’re on the fence about what’s better for your company, take a look at the five signs to look out for. Taking the time to seriously consider each of these signs will help you make the best decision for your business.
5 Signs It’s Time to Hire a Marketing Agency
1. You Haven’t Defined Your Buyer Persona
Do you (and your team) have a clear idea of who you’re marketing to?
Buyer personas are fictional representations of your ideal customer. They humanize your audience and help your marketing team understand who you’re really talking to. This will help define the tactics you use to communicate with your audience, attracting good-fit prospects to your product or service.
Without clearly defined buyer personas, your message will not be targeted—and trying to market to everyone is a sure way to fail.
Does your business have well-defined, documented buyer personas? Ask yourself these questions:
- Who are your customers? You must able to identify your ideal customer based on their demographics. What is their age, gender, income level, and location?
- What are their struggles? Your audience is struggling with something. What are their challenges? What goals are they trying to achieve?
- How can you help them? How will your product or service resolve their current problems?
Be honest—do you have well-thought-out answers? If not, you may need an agency to spend some time researching your business, your message, and your customers. When you hire a marketing agency, you’re hiring experts who can help you define an accurate, research-based persona and create a marketing strategy to reach your ideal customer.
2. Poor Sales Enablement
As B2B selling has gotten more complex, organizations need to find ways to better support prospects throughout the sales process.
Sales enablement consists of providing your sales team all the tools they need for success. This could include anything from training to content that will help them address the concerns of potential buyers. When your sales team has the tools they need, they will be more prepared to close deals efficiently.
Here are signs that you may need help with sales enablement:
- Poor quota attainment/ Revenue goals not being met: Does your sales team have a history of struggling to meet its revenue goals for the quarter?
- Trouble creating content: Does your sales team have difficulty supporting prospects through each step of the buyer’s journey? Do you struggle to create relevant, useful content to help nurture prospects through the buying process?
- Trouble measuring ROI: Are you having a hard time measuring the impact of your content strategy?
- Lack of tools: Is your sales team up-to-date with all the latest technology?
An agency will provide all the resources you need to empower your sales team. These services include:
- Sales enablement training: Your sales team will get customized training plans to ensure that everyone is on the same page.
- Content strategy: An agency will help you create high-quality content that your sales team can use to build trust with your prospects.
- Sales enablement tools: You’ll have access to the best tools and technology to boost your sales and crush quotas.
3. Your Website Isn’t Converting.
Conversions are an essential part of digital marketing. After all, traffic to your site means nothing if visitors aren’t converting into paying customers!
Does this sound like you?
- You spend countless money on traffic, but you’re not seeing new leads or sales generated.
- Your website is ranking poorly on search engines.
- Your website has a high bounce rate and low average session time.
Fortunately, a marketing agency can help resolve your conversion issues. A team of web specialists will maximize design, content, and copy in a way that encourages conversion and sales. There are lots of ways to create a compelling website optimized for conversions, but some factors your marketing agency will pay attention to include:
- Creating high-quality calls-to-action and forms designed to support conversion.
- Analyzing the behavior of people coming to your website to seek out pages that may need to be refreshed.
- Do extensive keyword research and optimization to get your site ranked higher on search engines.
- Write compelling copy that will encourage visitors to take action.
Example: How Highmark Techsystems Boosted Conversions with Their Website
Wondering how website design can impact conversions? Highmark Techsystems, one of our clients here at New Perspective, saw a massive increase in lead generation after we gated content that was available for download on their website.
The result? We helped increase lead generation from their website by 92%. On top of that, we helped them get information on their leads they never had access to previously, allowing them to tailor their interactions to what would matter to each prospect.
Take a look at our case study to learn more about how we helped Highmark Techsystems transform their website into a conversion engine!
4. Your Team Lacks Marketing Skills
If you’re a small company, your team may lack specific skills to market your brand. After all, you can’t be good at everything, and if you don’t have the budget to hire multiple in-house marketers with these specific skill sets, you may feel like you’re out of luck.
So what do you do? Hire a marketing agency instead! An agency’s team of specialists have the necessary skills to market your company, and it’s more cost-effective than hiring new marketers left and right.
You’ll also be provided with training along the way to ensure your team and your marketing agency are working effectively together.
5. Marketing Isn’t Your Priority or Expertise
Feeling in over your head when it comes to marketing? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. It may be possible that:
- You’re a business owner—you have many things on your plate and don’t have time to focus on marketing.
- Your priority is developing your product or service, and you would rather have someone else do the marketing for you.
- Your past marketing campaigns have failed, and you don’t understand what went wrong.
- What worked for you in the past isn’t working anymore, and you’re struggling to adapt.
The last reason especially rings true for manufacturers. It’s estimated that manufacturing brands are 5-10 years behind when it comes to inbound marketing, but it’s not too late to make a change! We at New Perspective have helped numerous brands overcome their obstacles and get quality results.
It’s okay to admit that your knowledge and skills are limited when it comes to marketing. The right agency will understand this and provide all the support you need to succeed.
What to Look for When You Hire a Marketing Agency
Do you think your business could benefit from hiring an agency? Here’s what to look for before you make the move:
- Proof of their results. Before you hire a marketing agency, ask them for case studies or campaigns they’re working on. Learn more about the results they’ve produced for businesses like yours and how they can do the same for you.
- Their online reviews. People who have good things to say about a brand are more than willing to share their experience online. Search their reviews on Google and check out what clients are saying on social media.
- Their company blog. Most companies have a blog on their website for their audience. Check it out to get insights into their mindset and approach to marketing.
- Niche/industry. Make sure that the agency has worked in your niche before. A company that knows your industry will have a better understanding of your audience and how to deliver the results you seek.
Are You Ready to Hire a Marketing Agency?
“If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together” – African Proverb.
Doing things on your own can be counterproductive—don’t be afraid to ask for help! A marketing agency can get you on the right path to achieve your business goals.
Need help with your marketing? Contact us today! We’ll help you create a marketing strategy that is based on your company, your business, and your customers. We look forward to hearing from you!