What is Basecamp?
Basecamp gives users the ability to collaborate with their teammates when working on a project. It provides team members a place to share ideas, progress and tracking of project events. By integrating task to-do lists, project notes and files, tracking is maintained in real time, reducing the time lost to meetings; so more time is spent on the project, leading to increased productivity.
Creating an Account and Logging On
- You will first receive an e-mail inviting you to join a team on Basecamp. The e-mail will provide a link. Click the link and it will send you to a page where you set up your account.
- Create a username and password, when prompted to do so. Once logged in, you will be on the Basecamp dashboard.
- The active Projects will show up on the screen. Now you can go into a project and start a discussion!
From the Basecamp dashboard, open the project that you want to work in by clicking on it. This will take you into the projects window.
Start a Discussion
- To start a discussion, click the discussion link on the tool bar.
- A discussion board page will appear. Type in the subject of the discussion
- Click on the lower box on this page and where it says ‘type your message’, you type your message.
- You have some of the same features that you would in any word processor, so you can customize your text by making it bold or placing words in italics, so that they will stand out in your discussion.
Working with active Discussions
- You can add files to discussions by dragging & dropping them into the attach files box, or you can upload them from your computer.
- When posting to a discussion, you have the option of emailing everyone in the group, or just selected group members.
- You also have the option of adding your message to the discussion board without sending it to anyone.
- When you have entered your subject, text and recipients, click post this message.
- Your message now becomes part of the discussion thread, where it will help you, and members of your group track the projects progress.
To Do Lists
Creating a to-do-list will help you keep track tasks in a project. You can create tasks that are deliverables or tasks for each member of the project group. You can organize your task lists any way that you want to.
- First, open the project that you want to work on.
- If a to-do-list has not been created, you’ll see a link to Add the first.
- If a to-do-list has already been created, scroll down the page and find the to-do list you want to edit.
- Click ‘add a to-do-list’ and give the list a title
- Click save and start adding ‘to-dos’ to your list.
New Perspective uses Basecamp to coordinate easily with our clients on projects. By tracking tasks, deadlines and revisions online, you can follow the progress of your project as it happens – without having to tie up time away from your business in meetings.